Teltown (Irish: Tailteann) is one of Ireland's most important sacred ritual sites and is a 10 minute drive from Kells Town.
This is the scene of a gathering that took place once a year in August, to celebrate the death of the famous Tailtu, a Spanish princess who married one of the High Kings and built her palace in this area which is named after her on the banks of the Blackwater River.
This three week festival - the Aonách Tailteann was attended by most of Ireland. A principle feature of the festival were the games that took place - instituted by Lugh and known as the Lugh Nosad (Lughnasa: Gaelic name for August).
It is well known that the Greeks came to this festival and as the games predated the Greek Games and are very similar - it is thought the inspiration for the Ancient Greek Olympics may have come from here.
Legend tells us that St. Patrick visited Tailteann at the time of the royal games, and Conall, brother of the HIgh King Leoghaire , received him very hospitably and he baptized him, on We dnesday, 5 April, sometime in the 5th century. This was the first public baptism, recognized by royal edict, and hence in the ancient Irish Kalendars, the fifth of April is assigned "the beginning of the Baptism of Erin".
Conall granted Patrick land there on which to build a church - Donagh-Patrick, there has stood a church there till this day. The current church was built in 1896, designed by J.F. Fuller, an authority on the Hiberno-Romanesque style who also built St. Patrick's Church in Dublin. It incorporates a medieval tower-house to the west