The famous 9th century Market Cross, the “Cross of the Gate” was originally located at the Eastern Gate of the monastery. It signified that a fugitive could claim sanctuary once inside the boundary of the monastic area.
It currently stands outside the old Courthouse. Damage to the cross is attributed to the 17th century army of Oliver Cromwell.
Local belief has it that the cross was also used for hanging Croppies after the 1798 rebellion. (The Irish rebels of 1798 were referred to as Croppies, or Croppie Boys, because of their agrarian roots, or for their fashion of cutting or cropping their hair short in the then new revolutionary French fashion).